§ 5b Violin
- The chairman will terminate any presentation exceeding the given time frame.
- Please choose repeats in your own responsibility. The maximum duration of each round must not be exceeded.
- For Bach, Mozart, Paganini op. 1 as well as for the sonatas please use the
- Good pianists are made available by the organizer but can also
be brought along by the candidate (at their own cost).
- Please prepare an attractive piece with a maximum duration of 4-5 minutes for the prize winners' concert. Choose from the theme "folk music (dance music)", if possible in connection with your home. For suggestions, see § 2.
A) First Round:
- One original caprice for violin solo by N. Paganini
or of a comparable level of difficulty.
- J. S. Bach: Two dances (both with double variation) from Partita I, B minor, BWV1002
Two dances from Partita II, D minor, BWV 1004 (not Chaconne)
Two dances from Partita III, E major (not Preludio)
Note: Please choose a slow and a fast movement!
Duration: 10 minutes.
All pieces of the first rounds have to be performed from memory.
B) Second Round:
- First movement and cadence of one of the following violin
concerts by W. A. Mozart (B major, KV 207; D major, KV 211;
G major, KV 216; D major, KV 218; A major, KV 219) or by
- One sonata for violin and piano by J. Brahms (op. 78, G major,
op. 100, A major, op. 108, D minor)
R. Schumann, sonata A minor, op 105.
- Scherzo c-minor by J. Brahms from the FAE-Sonata (from memory) (Schumann, Brahms, Dietrich),
a “Hungarian Dance” by J. Brahms, arranged by J. Joachim.
Duration: about 30 minutes
Concerts have to be performed from memory, sonata can be performed
with notes - except the FAE-Sonata which also has to be played from memory.
Note: All works selected for the second round have to be prepared in full. If necessary, the jury will decide on further time limits before the beginning of the second round. These limits will apply to all candidates.
C) Final with full orchestra:
First movement and cadence from one of the following violin concerts:
- J. Brahms op. 77, D major;
- J. Sibelius op. 47, D minor;
- P. I. Tschaikowsky op. 35, D major
In the final round, concerts have to be performed from memory.